Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Aiden's new Thomas the Tank Engine Quilt

I've finished the top to my grandson's quilt. This is one quilt I have really enjoyed working on. One - because it brought back wonderful memories when my own son Michael enjoyed Thomas when he was Aiden's age. Two - because it was so easy to put together - which I'll explain below. Three - I have wonderful images of Aiden running around the house (his or mine) dragging this quilt behind him. I want this quilt to be loved! 8-)

Dh Mike is holding up the quilt. He's my official quilt hangar when it comes to pictures! I didn't notice until now but there's Patrick at the bottom on the right hand side getting in on the action. What a ham.



Here's a closeup of the top - I had fun working with these bright colors. I'm probably going to stitch in the ditch on this one because it's one of the strongest stitches I know to help it stay in one piece - for the reason above! 8-D



Now, one of the reasons I really enjoyed putting it together was because I had most of the strips already cut. You see, I have all these scraps in different forms and pieces and I did not want to throw them away. There must be a use for them, right?. Then, I discovered Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville page. She wrote on how to save your scraps and cut them up to make them useful. You know, like a "useful engine" - get it? Ok, stop groaning and move on! LOL! I had most of the colors cut into 2 1/2 strips already or at least 5" charm squares to be used. That was half the work already!

So, here is Bonnie's page. I can't say enough about her methods and I love her patterns - so go on over and take a look and you'll be hooked too!

http://www.quiltville/com


Have a great day, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to see you blogging again. Your quilts always nudge me toward my sewing machine.

    Thanks for stopping in over at my blog, too. I love keeping in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete